The parents of a 24-year-old UC Irvine graduate who died while attending EDC Las Vegas in 2015 just went through with a lawsuit against Insomniac Holdings LLC and Live Nation Entertainment Inc.
Terry and Gayline Tom filed the case on Tuesday, alleging that there were inadequate medical personnel present after their son, Nicholas Austin Tom, ingested a fatal dose of ecstacy. They are seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.
“Good Samaritan bystanders witnessed Nicholas seizing on the ground and foaming at the mouth and tried to help, but the music was too loud,” preventing anyone from hearing when they yelled for a medic, according to the lawsuit.
According to the suit, the medic tent found by the people helping Tom a half-hour later had no personnel inside. Apparently, there were only two to three medical tents at the 1,200-acre venue, which was filled with 135,000 attendees.
A group of staff members with no medical training arrived and said medics “had their hands full and were unavailable,” the suit states. One of the staff members tried to pour water down the stricken man’s throat, a dangerous action because the water could end up in a victim’s lungs, the suit states.
Tom “died on the floor of the medical tent after not receiving any medical care for at least one hour.”
Nicholas Austin Tom died June 22, 2015 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway during Electric Daisy Carnival Las Vegas. He was a medical assistant at UC San Francisco Medical Center after graduating from UC Irvine in 2013 with a degree in biological sciences and a minor in psychology.
Donate to the Nicholas Austin Tom memorial fund here.